Posted on: 05/03/2013
Why did God tell Abraham to leave all?
- Why did God tell Abraham to get out of his country, and from his kindred, and from his father’s house? We may think it is because God wanted to separate him from his surroundings for blessing or to test his obedience or faith. But the answer is so simple. The reason hidden behind is that God loved him. He wanted to make love to him. It is not the blessings which matter but the love with which He drew Abraham to himself.
- God is love and of course blesses those whom He loves. He showed him some objects of blessings to Abraham on this earth and wanted to draw him to himself. God said therefore, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness and speak comfortably unto her – Hosea 2: 14. Latter God gave Abraham greater blessings than that he understood, an eternal land and an everlasting generation.
- In beginning God created Adam in his own image, in the image of God create him; male and female created he them.
- God loved them, blessed them, and God said unto them. Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.
- And the Lord God commanded the man saying, of every tree of the garden you may freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat of it: for in the day that you eat thereof you shall surely die.
- But man was unfaithful to God. He disobeyed the commandment of God, ate the forbidden fruit and thus sin entered. God drove out Adam and Eve from the garden because of love – Genesis 3:24. God thought if He ate the fruit of the tree of life he would eternally live as a sinner and there is no hope of redemption.
- Adam instead of loving Eve he hated her and starting accusing her. Cain out of jealousy murdered Abel. Today there is hatred not only between individuals but among families and nations. Man lost this love, love with his neighbour. Love turned into jealousy and selfishness.
- We all became sinners and fell short of the glory of God. Man was going away from God. Man’s heart became the breeding centre for hatred, jealousy, anger, murder, adultery, fornication, and other iniquities. And God saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continuously (Genesis 6: 5). His heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked: who can know it? (Jeremiah 17:9).
- Sin led man to all kinds of sufferings and sorrows, sickness, Satanic bondage, finally every man had to die and stand for judgement. It was appointed for a man to die once and stand for judgement (Hebrews 9: 27) and be consigned to eternal flames in hell, a place of ever-burning fire and brimstone, where his worms will not die.
- But God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son into the world to to save His people from sin and hell. Bible says: God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him will not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16).
- Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities. And he died for our sins, was buried, but was resurrected and sitting on the right hand of God. He is coming back soon, very soon to reward the righteous and punish the wicked.
- Once God loves a person He separates the person. God wanted to separate Abraham from his father. He separated Abraham to love him, to make love to him. He prepared him for eternal love and fellowship in heaven. God even separated Abraham from Lot.
- He loved Jacob, no matter he was a cheat. When God loves a person He does not care whether he is a cheat like Jacob, an illicit lover like Tamar, a harlot like Racab or a sinful Moabitess like Ruth. No one can stop his love or redeem the object of His love. He is lover and He is Love. God is love – He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love – (1 John 4:8).
- When someone comes to the Lord Jesus Christ with repentance from his sins God loves him and blesses him. He receives forgiveness of his sins. Jesus removes our insufficiencies and supplies all our needs. He heals our sicknesses. He delivers us from the evil forces. He gives us eternal life … in heaven.
- He gives us the Holy Spirit. Holy Spirit brings love.
- Love does not mean that he should not chastise us. Thy rod and staff comfort me - Psalms 23: 4. He who spares the rod hates his children. Otherwise we will be bastards.
- Not only does God love us, He wants us to respond to His love. He loves us and wants Him to be loved.
- To love God means to obey His commandments. Jesus said: If you love me, keep my commandments (John 14: 15).
- Love is the new commandment and love is the evidence of being the disciple of Christ. A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. (John 13: 34).
- Love means loving your enemies.
- Love means you love neighbor.
- If you love Christians you love God (Christ), if you don’t, you don’t love God. He who loves God loves his brother. This is the proof of eternal life. We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brothren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death (I John 3: 14).
- Jesus asked three times to Peter after He was resurrected, the latter replied in the positive all the three times. Then Jesus said meaning you give your life for your sheep. Be a shepherd who does not live on the sheep, but lives for the sheep and dies for the sheep.
- Abide in His love until salvation. Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life – Jude 21.
by Pastor:Emmanuel Kingsly